Friday recipe: chewy fruit & oatmeal bars

March 11, 2011 —

I always tend to snack more and crave treats on the weekend so I’ve been looking for healthier things to have available. This one sounds really yummy! I’d swap in applesauce for the oil and omit the salt. The flour could be swapped to make it gluten-free and the dairy items could be switched for almond or soy products. Let me know if you make it and how you alter it!

Low-fat Chewy Fruit & Oatmeal Bars – from LiveHealthyIowa.org!

photo from LiveHealthyIowa.org

Ingredients:
3/4  cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2  cup granulated sugar
1  8 oz container vanilla or plain low-fat yogurt
2  egg whites, lightly beaten
2  Tbsp. vegetable oil
2  Tbsp. skim milk
2  tsp. vanilla
1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
1  tsp. baking soda
1  tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2  tsp. salt (optional)
3  cups oatmeal (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1  cup diced dried mixed fruit, raisins, or dried cranberries

Instructions:
Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk, and vanilla; mix well. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix well. Add to yogurt mixture; mix well. Stir in oats and fruit.

Spread dough onto bottom of ungreased 13×9-inch baking pan.

Bake 28 to 32 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars. Store tightly covered.

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.
  • http://www.inexpensive-web-hosting.com Host

I tried the oatmeal bars and they were yummy! By the way I really like your blog and your quality recipes. I look forward to seeing more.

• Anonymous

This looks looks great for a snack! I will suggest this to my wife :)
    Keep up the good work!

• Anonymous

Keep up the good work!

• http://www.medifastcouponcodes.net Roger Parco

Thanks for the recipe. I’m always looking to do more with oatmeal. I eat it everday. I usually make protein bars with oatmeal and peanut butter. I’ll give this recipe a try.