A benefit for the Red Cross in Japan

March 15, 2011 —

Yoshihiro Ozaki is a second-year osteopathic medicine student. He is a delightful student from Japan. I’ve been lucky enough to meet him and hear him play with the DMU chamber orchestra. He sent the following message around to a few folks on campus and I’d like to share it with you:

As you know, Japan has been suffering from the worst earthquake/Tsunami in the history of Japan. Since the earthquake still strikes the country every 6 hours or so, Japanese people are too frightened to sleep at night but always get ready to escape. The number of casualties has been drastically increasing.

The DMU Chamber Orchestra would like to initiate a fundraiser at Des Moines University and solicit donations from  students, faculty members, staff, etc. I would like to send all donations to American Red Cross. All checks should be made payable to the Red Cross with “Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief” written in the memo.

I’m sharing his plea with you all because it’s important. If you find the time in your schedule and some money in your pocket, please plan to stop by the Student Education Center (near the auditorium) today, tomorrow or Thursday and support Yoshi and Kento Akasaka, a first-year osteopathic student, as they play music over lunch and collect donations.

Need a reminder of the destruction and horror there? Check out these NY Times photos.

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.

• Rika Uchida

I’m Assistant Professor in piano at Drake, and I’m from Japan. I can give half an hour concert this Friday or Saturday for fund raising, if you have decent condition grand piano in your campus – do you have a concert hall or auditorium?

• http://www.howtogetridofacnesfast.com/ Seorambo4610

I am from the Philippines and we are kinda worried that somehow stuff happening in Japan will affect us. Some news say that we should hide ourselves when a rain fall this coming days or weeks, how true is that? Oh well, how I wish I could help you guys with your project. What i can do is I give my ten percent tithe and some generous fast offering to my church that is helping Japan right now =) You guys take care =)

• http://twitter.com/airambulance12 Kirk

We all need to help each other in a time of need like Japan. I think this is a great benefit and I encourage people to help in any way they can. Thanks Courtney for spreading the word.