Friday recipe: pineapple ice cream

February 18, 2011 —

It’s been spring-like and sunny this week which turns my thoughts to ice cream and outdoor fun. (Who am I joking, I like ice cream year round!)

I’ve really been trying to live more healthfully and to that end, I can’t eat ice cream as much as I’d like. This weekend I poured almond milk over frozen berries and mashed it all up. I thought it was a delicious and healthy substitute but my husband voted it disgusting. Oh well, I tried!

So here’s a REAL recipe that you can make at home to have less fat than store-bought ice cream. It sounds like the delicious pineapple whip I eat at the Iowa State Fair each year!

30-second pineapple whip (by Ice-Cream-Freaks.com)
1/2 cup soy milk
1/8-1/4 cup Splenda
1 pineapple (or frozen pineapple chunks!)

Directions:
Cut pineapple into small wedges, including the core. Set aside and refrigerate one cup of pineapple for topping. If using fresh pineapple, freeze the chunks for your whip.

Put the soy milk in your blender, add frozen pineapple chunks and sugar. Blend on high speed. Scoop into dishes and top with non-frozen pineapple.

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.
  • http://www.rhetthatfield.com Rhett Hatfield

Now that’s my kind of educational post. I will be trying this one today Courtney and thanks for the healthy and yummy tip …. :)

• Pingback: Tweets that mention Friday recipe: pineapple ice cream | DMU Blog -- Topsy.com

• Justcourtney

Thanks, Rhett! Let me know how it is!! I’ve been trying all kinds of fruit in the blender with almond milk or rice milk!

• Justcourtney

• Anonymous

I’m craving for ice-creams but on a strick diet. This looks like a healthy alternative to the usual ice-cream. I’m going to try it out

• Anonymous