December 22, 201012/22/10 0 comments
Vellinga is president and CEO of Mercy Medical Center in Des Moines, a role he has held since 1998. He has also been CEO of Mercy Health Network since 2000. Prior to being at Mercy, Vellinga was president and chair of the board at Trinity Health International in Michigan and president and CEO of North Iowa Mercy Health Center in Mason City, Ia.
He has served on the board of directors for the Iowa Hospital Association, Bankers Trust, Delta Dental of Iowa, Wellmark Health Plans of Iowa (WHPI), Midlands Choice and Chamber of Greater Des Moines. He is a member of the Greater Des Moines Committee, Downtown Community Alliance and Iowa Business Council. He is involved in the American College of Healthcare Executives and American Hospital Association. Vellinga was named “Best CEO” in the Des Moines Business Record’s annual readers’ poll in 2001, 2002, 2006 and 2009.
Six current members were also recently reappointed to three-year terms. They are as follows:
· Dale Andres, D.O.
· James A. Grekin, D.O.
· Dean Hannam
· Brian Hart
· C. Arthur Wittmack
· Patty Yungclas
Officers for 2010-11 are as follows:
· Chair, James Grekin, D.O., FACOI, retired internal medicine physician, Farmington Hills, Mich.
· Chair-elect, Larry Baker, D.O., medical director, department of emergency medicine, Iowa Lutheran Hospital, Iowa Methodist Medical Center.
· Vice chair, Wittmack, chair of Neumann Brothers Inc., Des Moines
· Treasurer, Stephen Morain, retired general counsel, Iowa Farm Bureau Federation
· Secretary, Richard Kotz, D.O., retired physician, Des Moines, IA
· Immediate past chair, Max McKinney II, D.O., retired physician, Farmington Hills, Mich.
# # #
Des Moines University (DMU) is the only private medical school in Iowa, offering graduate-level, professional degree programs in osteopathic medicine, podiatric medicine, physical therapy, physician assistant studies, biomedical sciences, anatomy, health care administration and public health. Founded in 1898, the institution offers superior academics in a collaborative environment. DMU students' pass rate on national examinations and board certifications is consistently higher than the national average and the rates at similar institutions.