New partnership with IA Dept. for Blind

October 25, 2010 —

Our third- and fourth-year osteopathic medical students do rotations through various medical specialties for hands-on learning. A new partnership between DMU and the Iowa Department for the Blind (IDB) will also allow our students two week rotations within IDB learning what it’s like to be blind.

Our students will sit in classes alongside folks losing their vision and learn how to live without vision. They will also spend a week with IDB living teachers who travel to client workplaces and homes and learn about library services for the blind and physically handicapped.

Partnerships like this allow our graduates to better relate to all kinds of patients in the future. We are thankful for awesome community partners who share our commitment to learning!

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.

• Roliver6909

This is a fantastic way for medical school students to experience real world situations so they may be better prepared when they start practicing medicine. I couldn’t agree with this more! I hope the schools in my area start doing things like this.

• Roliver6909