Hands-on learning for physical therapists

October 20, 2010 —

The post-professional doctor of physical therapy (PPDPT) program at DMU can be completed entirely online, making it a great option for practicing physical therapists who want to advance their career.

Some students come to campus for a weekend to take a manual therapy class dealing with the physiological, neurological and psychological aspects of manual therapy. While students can qualify for an exemption of this course, it is a great opportunity for them to see the campus and meet their fellow classmates and professors.

Gwen Garrido, a 2010 grad of the PPDPT program, from Bellaire, TX, enjoyed her recent manual therapy course at DMU. “This is the highlight of the program for me. I had the chance to see my online classmates face-to- face, especially those who post to the discussion board a lot. It is also the time to meet with the exceptional teachers who are imparting tremendous knowledge to the students based on their evidence-based experience. I enjoyed the actual practice in the laboratory and the collaboration with peers on different manual therapy techniques.”

Learn how to apply to the PPDPT program, see the admission requirements and check out the curriculum.

Andrea Cooley gets paid to post on Facebook and Twitter (among other things) to promote Des Moines University to prospective students. She is a Midwest girl at heart, but loves to travel around the country visiting friends and family. If Des Moines had mountains or an ocean she’d never leave. Before joining the DMU marketing team, she was an editor for Country Home magazine. She’s still a little obsessed with magazines, so if you want to talk about decorating, remodeling or gardening projects she’s your go-to girl.
  • Thomas Mojume

I am one the students who attended the weekend program. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit and the opportunity to meet and develop fresh friendship with my classmates, especially those of us about to graduate. But more gratifying is the opportunity to meet with our selfless instructors who pour out so much of themselves professionally into us.

• Thomas Mojume