Friday recipe: honey-soy broiled salmon

October 29, 2010 —

I love to order salmon in restaurants, but have only cooked it at home once – on the grill – so I’m not sure if that counts. The problem is, I have a fear of buying seafood. I know even in land-locked Des Moines you can still find good, fresh seafood, but I usually balk at the price. Sure, it’s more expensive than chicken, but it’s also healthier. Fish is a great source of lean protein and heart-healthy omega-3 fats.

What’s the best place to buy seafood in Des Moines? I’ve heard Waterfront is good, but is Hy-Vee or Dahl’s OK? Is it worth paying more for fresh or is frozen fine? Help me become a confident seafood chef!

Honey-soy broiled salmon

1 scallion, minced
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound center-cut salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions:

1. Whisk scallion, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and ginger in a medium bowl until the honey is dissolved. Place salmon in a sealable plastic bag, add 3 tablespoons of the sauce and refrigerate; let marinate for 15 minutes. Reserve the remaining sauce.
  2. Preheat broiler. Line a small baking pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.
  3. Transfer the salmon to the pan, skinned-side down. (Discard the marinade.) Broil the salmon 4 to 6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes. Drizzle with the reserved sauce and garnish with sesame seeds.