It’s September already?

September 9, 2010 —

You haven’t heard from me for a little while because

1. I haven’t done anything new (still on rotations in Michigan)
  2. I haven’t cooked anything new (still eating frozen food)
  3. The dog has consumed my free time

But I have started a new audible book with the cheesy title, “How to Win Friends & Influence People” by Dale Carnegie (not to be confused with his distant cousin Andrew Carnegie). I like this book and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning more about communication skills. This book is relevant to anyone working with people, especially health care workers.

Some of the things I learned from this book is that people really like to talk about themselves. (I think I learned this from the movie “30-Year Old Virgin,” too.) This phenomenon is helpful to understand when communicating with patients. Listening to your patients with interest makes your patient feel important, which will help bring down defensive barriers when trying to encourage your patient to comply with medical recommendations. Talk in terms of what they want, instead of what “I” (the medical professional) wants. Check out the book for more details. I’m just getting started!

I really like this book and wouldn’t mind getting more like it. Any recommendations?

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.
  • Kelli Olson

I really enjoy the book Fish! A Remarkable Way to Boost Morale and Improve Results. I read it once as part of a requirement from my previous employer but I read it every couple of months now, its a quick read, can finish it in an hour or two, but it really makes you think about how you approach your job. I always feel a burst of energy and greater drive for customer service after I read it. It’s a great perspective on how to approach, not only your job but your life, I think it’s a good read (or listen – Barnes & Noble has the book, CD, or MP3).

• Kelli Olson

• http://www.saltteam.ca/ Revo

Yes we are already in the month of September. I was looking for some book reviews and coincidentally stumbled upon this post. I will definitely search for this one and if I find it good, then I will definitely recommend it to my friends.

• http://www.saltteam.ca/ Revo