Friday recipe: ginger carrot soup

September 10, 2010 —

It’s officially soup season! I have been eating soup for lunch all week (wishing I had a gooey grilled cheese sandwich to dip in my bowl). I found an organic ginger carrot soup in the health market section of Hy-Vee, but I want to try this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens. I think I would substitute lite coconut milk for the half-and-half.

What’s your favorite kind of soup?

Ginger carrot soup
2 Tbsp. cooking oil
3 cups  thinly sliced onion
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/8  tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
8 carrots (about 1-1/4 lb.)
1 sweet potato
6 cups chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half or light cream

Directions1. For caramelized onions, in a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add sliced onion, sugar, and pepper; reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring twice. Add ginger. Cook, uncovered, 20 to 30 minutes more or until onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Divide in half.

2. Meanwhile, peel carrots and sweet potato and cut in 1-inch pieces. In large saucepan or Dutch oven combine broth, carrots, and sweet potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 40 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Add half of the caramelized onions. Puree until nearly smooth with hand-held blender or process 2 cups at a time in a food processor. Add cream; heat through. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper. Top with remaining caramelized onions.

Makes 12 (3/4-cup) servings.