Friday recipe: black bean burger

August 13, 2010 —

I used to always have Morningstar Farms black bean burgers in the freezer for a back-up dinner. Then I discovered this recipe in an old issue of Better Homes and Gardens and realized I can make burgers that are even better. I still can’t get my husband to eat these, so I freeze the extras. I even like them without a bun. Just cover them with sour cream and avocado slices and you’re set.

Black bean burgers

1 1/2 cups salsa
1 jalapeno pepper
2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 8.5-oz. pkg. corn muffin mix
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Directions1. In colander drain 1/2 cup of the salsa. Seed and finely chop half the jalapeno; thinly slice the remaining half. In large bowl mash beans with vegetable masher or fork. Stir in muffin mix, drained salsa, 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder and chopped jalapeno.

2. In 12-inch skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add four 1/2 cup mounds bean mixture to skillet. Flatten mounds with spatula to 3 1/2-inch-round cakes. Cook 3 minutes each side until browned. Removed from skillet. Repeat with remaining oil and bean mixture.

3. In bowl combine sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Top cakes with remaining salsa, sliced jalapeno and seasoned sour cream.

Makes 4 (2-cake) servings.