Spend your summer doing research!

February 10, 2010 —

Research is key component for a successful medical and health science school and DMU is proud of its research department.

You don’t have to be a DMU student to rub shoulders with faculty and medical students, though! Every summer, undergraduate students work with faculty researchers for 8 weeks on projects in microbiology, pharmacology, physiology, biochemistry and physical therapy.

Students work up to 40 hours per week and receive a stipend of $10/hour. Housing is not provided. It’s a great way to dip a toe in the water of graduate school or research and see what the research world is all about!

Craig Schuring, D.O.’13, participated in the Summer Research Program for undergrads before becoming a student in the D.O. program at DMU. He graduated from Central College with a degree in finance and accounting. When he decided to change careers and pursue medicine, DMU was at the top of his list.

“The Summer Research Program experience was very rewarding. I was able to apply what I had learned in undergraduate studies to real-life scenarios. I was also fortunate enough to have great supervision and guidance throughout the project. We recently received notice that our work was going to be published. I gained an understanding of the bigger picture of microbiology and its relevance in medicine. I became aware of how organisms differed, how they thrived and how they can become pathologic. I learned of the many treatment options and how they function in real life. It was truly a rewarding and educational experience, one that will stay with me as continue on my path towards becoming a physician. I definitely recommend it to anyone who might be interested.”

Interested? Apply now for Summer 2010! Applications are due March 1. E-mail questions to: research@dmu.edu.

• Tea

I have no regrets spending my summer doing research. I was lucky enough to have time to spend part of my summer vacationing in Hawaii too!

• http://www.quality-web-solutions.com/graphic-design.php Web Graphic Design

Thanks for the account.Spending the Summer doing research is a good option and the best part of it is that students also get a stipend for it.I am always for such programs as one gets to learn a lot from such programs.Thanks again.Look forward to more such posts.