February 26, 20102/26/10 2 comments
I love granola. I munch on it for a mid-morning snack, stir it into yogurt and put it on ice cream. It’s the perfect combination of crunchy, sweet and depending on your recipe, salty. So I was excited to come across this recipe for vanilla coconut granola on the ReadyMade magazine food blog. Doesn’t the name make your mouth start to water a little?
Vanilla Coconut Granola
4 cups rolled oats (old-fashioned)
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I like walnuts)
1/2 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
pinch of salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp (or so) of vanilla
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup, depending on your preference
1/2-1 cup dried fruit, optional
1. Preheat your oven to 325F. Stir together the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Add your wet ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over low heat; or add to a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 20 seconds or so. This step is just to make sure that the wet will evenly coat the dry.
3. Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir together until evenly distributed.
4. Pour onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so to encourage even browning.
5. Remove from oven and stir in dried fruit (I sometimes add raisins) if desired. Allow to cool completely then eat!