Fun & festive things to do

December 3, 2009 —

I love the holidays and plan to share lots of fun holiday events over the next month. Everyone seems cheerier, the lights are lovely and there’s many community events. I personally celebrate Christmas but would love to share events related to any holidays so please send me a message or leave a comment if you know of something I’ve overlooked!

685605_hollyToday (Dec. 3) and Dec. 10 is a Valley Junction Holiday Open House which means the shops are open late, 5-9 p.m. and you can enjoy the festive lights. You can also meet the jolly red elf and his wife, take a carriage ride, listen to carolers or enjoy the Hospice of Central Iowa walk of wreaths.

You could also, anytime until January 2 from 5:30 to 10 p.m., enjoy Jolly Holiday Lights which benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Load up your classmates and friends (it’s $9 per carload) and take a drive through the park!

Also, don’t forget about the Dec. 4 concert I’ve blogged about before (that’s THIS Friday) to benefit Toys for Tots & Dylan’s Smile!

On Dec. 12 you can enjoy an old-fashioned Christmas at Living History Farms. They’ll have horse-drawn wagon rides, music, Santa and kids’ crafts. It’s only $5 a person and sounds like a lot of fun!

I LOVE “The Polar Express” book – it’s an annual family tradition to read it Christmas Eve – so I think this Santa Express ride would be very fun.

And in case you plan this far ahead…  ImaginEve is a great, free family celebration of New Year’s Eve!

Here’s a good listing and another a nice round-up of some other local festive events.

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.
  • http://www.quality-web-programming.com/ecommerce-solutions.php e-commerce solutions

Yeah i am also super excited…thanks for the sharing the name of the events.Have already made plans with friends to do shopping.Do keep me updated with more such events.Thanks a lot.