This is heart-warming, use it for inspiration today: see what this lil 4-year-old Iowa boy wants for Christmas. So now I know you’re wondering how you can do good too… here’s some options:
- Go to LetsSayThanks.com to send a free postcard to the troops overseas!
- Buy tickets for The Nada’s annual Silent Night concert Dec. 4, 8 p.m. The concert raises money & collects toys to donate to Toys for Tots. This year, pre-concert there will also be a silent auction and every dollar goes to Dylan’s Smile.
- Check out Medicine for Mali, a non-profit founded by 2 DMU alums to bring aid to Africa. Every little donation helps ($150 pays for a trimester of tutoring at a village school for 400 kids) as does spreading the word about them.
- Give to the Des Moines Area Religious Council food pantry. As a holiday gift, you can give and receive a voucher for your recipient saying a donation has been made in their name in lieu of a physical gift. $25 will provide 5 days of food for a family of 4! If you’re at DMU you can drop cans or boxes of food into the collection boxes on each floor or the shopping carts in each building the first full week of the month.
- Sponsor a kid for the holidays. Everywhere there are families struggling to make ends meet. Call up your local school or church and ask if you can anonymously fill someone’s needs. If you’re at DMU, check the portal, onthe Community Service page, for a list of local children in need. Sign up to buy a child some warm boots, a book or toy!
- Send a free e-card and Kraft will donate TEN meals to Feeding America! They’re cute too – send it to lots of friends & family!