October 7, 200910/7/09 1 comment
Des Moines University is excited to bring Art 4 Health (A4H) to Iowa. A4H is a traveling art exhibit launched by the World Health Organization in Geneva, Switzerland to increase awareness of global women’s health issues and promote the message that underprivileged women everywhere can work to overcome their circumstances.
The exhibit includes paintings of women from around the world. It has been seen in Brazil, Chile, France, India, Ireland, Malaysia, Namibia, South Africa, Switzerland, Tanzania and the United Kingdom. This is the first exhibition showing in the midwest.
The paintings will be first unveiled at a private World Food Prize reception that will celebrate the life of Norman Borlaug and officially dedicate the former Des Moines Public Library building as the Norman E. Borlaug Hall of Laureates, October 14, 5 – 6:30 p.m. (This event is open only to invited guests and members of the press.)
The press and public are invited to view this meaningful art display, split into two groupings, at these locations around Iowa:
• Norman E. Borlaug Hall of Laureates, 2nd and Locust, Oct. 14-15 (by invite only)
• Central College, Oct. 15-20 (1/2 exhibit)
• Drake University, Oct. 15-20 (1/2 exhibit)
• University of Iowa, Oct. 21-29 (1/2 exhibit)
• Simpson College, Oct. 21-29 (1/2 exhibit)
• Iowa State University, Oct. 29-Nov. 3 (1/2 exhibit)
• Des Moines University Library, 3300 Grand Ave., Oct. 29-Nov. 4 (1/2 exhibit)
• Iowa capitol building, Nov. 5 until Nov. 12 at noon (full exhibit)
• Des Moines University Library, 3300 Grand Ave., Nov. 12 at noon-16 at noon, during Library hours. (full exhibit)
For more about the exhibit, visit www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/maternal_perinatal/art4health.