Healthcare, a buzz word

October 5, 2009 —

The hottest topic of recent debate is President Obama’s focus on some version of a universal health care system. There’s no doubt that the current health system needs a fix but the challenge is how do we fix it? I have no clue but fancy this idea: a paradigm shift in the American attitude towards health.

Instead of focusing on obesity, what about focusing on healthy behaviors. There’s a belief out there that the more you think about a problem, the more likely the problem will stick around (Igot this from the book made into movie “The Secret”). So if we can think about measuring health status in a positive light, maybe a change in perception can guide us in the right direction (“I think I can, I think I can”). I realize this is a long stretch but paradigm shifts requires new ways of thinking and it doesn’t always make us comfortable.

Yes, I got caught in some deep thoughts about our current health care system and I have to admit it isn’t always a fun topic. I do agree that having work incentives for choosing healthy behaviors is a good direction. Lucky for DMU employees, these benefits do exist! And what’s even more fabulous is accessibility to our beautiful gym.

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.