A Minnesotan’s point of view

October 29, 2009 —

I hate when people are so shocked Des Moines rocks. Of course it does. Do people really come here expecting a few buildings in a corn field?! We have a city, people. We don’t all farm. And those that do farm aren’t like the hicks you see in movies. They’re high-tech. This is 2009, after all.

Anyway, off my soapbox now….  here’s a good write-up of Des Moines. ignore the “wow, I never expected this out of Des Moines” tone that prompted my aforementioned rant and read this nice piece in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune about someone’s trip to Des Moines. Enjoy!

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.