Apples to Apples!

September 22, 2009 —

apple coupleI didn’t know how many different types of apples exist in this world. I thought the variety was only red and green. Well I learned about the variety of apples when I started to grocery shop for them and when I tagged along with my neighbor buddies, Clint Cummings, D.O. ’11, and wife Brandie (see picture). We had a great time picking out our apples (Golden Delicious & Empire) and all for only $5 a “peck” ( approx. 25 apples).

They are the perfect size and tastes so crisp, sweet, with a slight tart. The best part was not only the price (& supporting local growers) but that it was only 25 minutes from Des Moines in Norwalk. I almost don’t want to buy my apples from anywhere else.

Where are your favorite orchards near Des Moines?

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.
  • http://www.dmu.edu admin

The Berry Patch Farm in Nevada is a good one. They even have a little hayrack ride!