Racing what?

August 10, 2009 —

Our DMU Webmaster Seth and his lovely wife Becky went to Prairie Meadows Friday to see ostrich, camel & horse races. He took a little video for you:

You just never know WHAT you’ll find to see for free in Des Moines!

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.
  • Jay Jeffery

Wow. I’ve never seen ostrich race before, then again I’m from the UK.

Comical :)

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Seth-Stevenson/38200678 Seth Stevenson

It was a first for me as well, and it was HILARIOUS. Pretty much everyone fell off of their ostrich right when the gates opened up.

Also, what you don’t see in the video is that another ostrich got loose and ran around the entire track.

• Vince

The ostrich escaping the track was possibly the funniest thing I’ve seen since I’ve moved to Des Moines

• Jessica

I’m from Des Moines and it was my first time watching the ostrich race. It was very entertaining especially when one of the ostrichs decided to run the whole track on its own. Also of course most everyone fell off when the gates opened and the winning ostrich hand noone riding it at the finish line!

• Megan

The ostrich and camel races were hilarious! Definitely looking forward to watching them again next year!