Friday Recipe: The Green Monster

August 14, 2009 —

img_0573-225x300Don’t judge this smoothie by its name–or its bright green hue. Seriously, it’s delicious! And I promise, you can’t taste the spinach. All you taste is banana. It’s cold and creamy and frothy good. I’ve made it my go-to drink after a workout. I usually stick to bananas in mine, but if you have other frozen berries throw them in too!

Green Monster Smoothie

1/4 cup old-fashioned oats (this adds fiber and gives the smoothie texture) You can also had a tablespoon of peanut butter, wheat germ or flax seed.

2 giant handfuls spinach

1 cup skim milk

1 frozen banana

Ice (I usually use 5 cubes)

Directions:

Blend oats, spinach and milk until combined. Then add ice and banana and blend until smooth. Makes about 16 ounces. I usually drink it all myself, but if you’re feeling generous, you can get two servings out of it.

• ANNETTE BENJAMIN

I will try this for my daughter, she loves bananas & the “extra nutrients” will make her “brain” stronger for her senior year!! p.s…I am still waiting for an exclusive DMU NEWS Recipe from you!!

• http://londonparticulars.etsy.com/ lora

I am looking forward to trying your recipe!

I remember the first time I ever saw a “green smoothie”, I was working in a restaurant and was given a powdered mix and told to blend it with a banana and some OJ…I was really SHOCKED by the color and it really put me off!

Luckily, I have grown up a bit since then!