Friday Recipe: Homemade Granola Bars

August 7, 2009 —

granola

Granola bars are my go-to snack. If I’m running late in the morning I grab one on the way out the door for breakfast. They’re also the perfect afternoon snack. And I always keep one in my purse so if I get hungry while I’m out I have something to munch on. I eat so many granola bars I definitely need to try this recipe. Not only is it relatively simple, but it uses all natural ingredients. No high-fructose corn syrup here!

This recipe is easy to customize. Mix your favorite granola add-ins into the oatmeal mixture like other dried fruit and nuts, even add bittersweet chocolate chips.

Homemade Granola Bars

Makes 12-16 bars

2 c. old-fashioned oatmeal

1 c. sliced almonds

1 c. shredded coconut, loosely packed

½ c. wheat germ

3 T. unsalted butter

2/3 c. honey

¼ c. light brown sugar, lightly packed

1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract

¼ tsp kosher salt

½ c. chopped pitted dates

½ c. chopped dried apricots

½ c. dried cranberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Butter 8x 12 inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.

2. Toss the oatmeal, almonds and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.  Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ.

3. Reduce heat in oven to 300 degrees.

4. Place butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture.

5. Add the dates, apricots, and cranberries and stir well.

6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.  Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan.

7. Bake for 25-30 mins., until light golden brown.

8. Cool for at least 2-3 hours before cutting into squares.  Wrap individually and enjoy!

Photo by Joyful Abode

• Dave

My wife & I love Clif bars – they come in lots of tasty flavors, and my wife loves ‘em for energy when she’s on rotations!

I came across this recipe for Homemade, No-Bake Clif bars:

http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/homemade-cliff-bars-no-bake.html

• Steve

Wow, that looks like a great recipe for an alternative (and healthy) intake compared to the processed stuff we find in the stores. Thanks for the recipe, will definitely give it a try!