Medical school grading system?

July 13, 2009 —

I found this interesting article (requires free registration) about one medical school that changed their grading system to pass/fail and the results are encouraging. Take a look at how students rate their psychological health, their satisfaction with the quality of their medical education and their personal life. So do you think DMU should also adopt this grading system? I vote yes to psychological well-being!

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.

• Austin Strickland

As far as conversion of grading systems is concerned, several leading law schools are also retooling their grading policies, with some institutions making major revisions and others merely tweaking their systems. Harvard Law School and Stanford Law School, for example, are switching from the traditional grade and letter policies to pass/fail systems. At the same time, New York University School of Law now allows professors to give more A’s. And some institutions, such as Columbia Law School, are reviewing their grading systems to see whether they need updating.

I work in the field of online schools or online learning, and I believe that we need upgradations in our grading systems. I am not sure about this change but I welcome new dimensions. If everyone is adopting it, it’ll be aeasy to figure it out whether this works or not.

• Medical Consent Form

I agree, I vote yes to psychological well-being!