Pet-friendly apartments

June 3, 2009 —

keysI’ve been getting lots of questions about housing from students bringing dogs with them. I did a quick Google search awhile back for “pet friendly apts Des Moines” and came up with a short list:

• Westpointe Apts, 2510 Canterbury Rd, Urbandale
  • Signature Place Apts, 210 S. Prairie View Dr, West Des Moines
  • Ashley Square Apts, 5501 Aurora Ave, Des Moines
  • Regency Woods Apts, 1137 11th St, West Des Moines
  • Saddlebrook Apts, 8301 Colby Pkwy, Urbandale
  • Country Club Village, 1200 Office Park Rd, West Des Moines
  • Weston Park Apts, 4200 Park Ave, Des Moines
  • Gateway Lofts, 1719 Grand Ave, Des Moines
  • Olde English Village, 1201 Office Park Rd, West Des Moines

Of course there may be more but that’s the list I came up with. Hope it helps! Also, don’t forget… even apartments that allow pets may have size or breed restrictions and charge a security deposit and monthly fee.

Happy apartment-hunting!

Gina Smith joined the admissions team (formally the Enrollment Management department) in early 2005. She strives to keep you up to date on all things admission related. Since graduating from the University of Iowa in 2003, Gina continues to cheer on the Hawkeyes, the best team ever, pretty much any way you look at it. Gina and her husband live in West Des Moines with their son, dog and cat.
  • Jason Schippers

I lived in The Fountains in West Des Moines off of 50th and George Mills and had both a cat and dog there. Fantastic apartments.

• http://redmaplemanagementcompany gpederson

00 E. Locust #308- Des Moines
    Studio Apartment – $800.00
    Bedrooms: Studio Baths: 1 full Status: Available immediately
    This cozy, contemporary studio is like brand new and is available now. It offers 700+
    sq. ft of living space, urban living environment with shopping located on the street
    level below, gated courtyard out back and secure, underground parking. All kitchen
    appliances are included with this unit as well as a full size stackable washer/dryer.
    This unit is great for downtown living. Tenant is responsible for electric here. No
    pets or smokers please. $800 per month & $800 security deposit.

• Pingback: Pet-friendly apartments | DMU Blog | BETTER HEALTH 4 YOUR PET

• Pingback: Pet-friendly apartments | DMU Blog | NUTRITION FOR PETS

• Pingback: Pet-friendly apartments | DMU Blog | PRODUCTSFORPETS.INFO

• Jeana Shelley

Winwood Apartments in Johnston, IA also allow pets and do not have size restrictions. Great place to check out…and you could always put my names as a reference ;)

• http://www.transcanadarentals.com/ Apartments for Rent in Toronto

In Canada, Landlords cannot discriminate against pet-owners who are trying to rent an apartment. Of course they can have a preference, but it’s against the law to forbid an renter/tenant from having a pet.

• http://www.puppieshusky.com Amanda Scully

I live in Canada and my landlord almost scared me out of my apartment until I read the comment above. I looked in to the legislation and I’m happy to say that I got to keep my cat!