Off to the market!

May 28, 2009 —

dtfm-tartsOne of my favorite summer activities is the downtown farmers’ market, Saturdays, 7 a.m. – noon. I love the abundant, local produce, yummy breakfast items, gorgeous flowers, people watching, dog-petting and fresh air.

I know it’s a favorite outing for my fellow DMU staffers & faculty as well as our students. I know this not only because our students constantly rave about it but also because EVERY week I go I see faces I recognize and DMU shirts.

To get info on where to find each vendor, see a map of the whole event and find out what’s in season for the week, visit the Register’s guide to the market and be a fan of the Facebook page for the market.

Some of my personal favorite vendors include Carefree Patisserie, Belle’s Coffee Shop, Chef Steve’s Kabobs, Mast Family Farm and Guys & Gals breakfast. As you may notice, those are all places that offer food to eat/drink on the spot or baked goods. I usually search for the best-looking produce each week so I don’t know the names of all those vendors. Also there’s lots of craft vendors that make cute things. So anyway, check it out. Buy something yummy or locally-made. Below are some of my tips to get the most out of the market.

dtfm-crowd

My market tips:

• Bring your own cloth bag(s) &/or cooler.
  • Park on a side street – it’s easier to get out than from the parking garage.
  • Wear comfy shoes.
  • Put on sunblock 30 minutes before coming!
  • Bring poop bags if you bring your dog.
  • Taste as many samples as you can.
  • Remember you are supporting local businesses.

Photos from the Downtown Farmers’ Market Facebook page.

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.
  • http://www.artezanalnet.com.br Emerson

Very good article!!!