Good Eats: El Salvador

March 7, 2009 —

For our pre-departure meeting, our global health group met at El Salvador Del Mundo, 2901 6th Ave. in Des Moines. And if this is what I have to anticipate to eat when I’m in El Salvador during spring break, then I am all in!

The price is just right and the food was so delicious. I had the carne asada plate and strangely enough, the beans were my favorite part of the dish. I mean, if the beans are great, that really shows that the owner of the restaurant cares about everything she serves even if it’s just a side dish. I also really liked the fried yellow starch thing (not the plantains) that tastes almost exactly like a huge french fry. I was really happy with the pupusa I stole from my fiance’s plate too. It wasn’t anything like the pupusa I got from the World Market Food Festival (both are yummy).

I would definitely make the trip out to El Salvador Del Mundo again for some authentic El Salvadorian food, or just for good eats. Total bill: no more than $11 for a totally satisfied woman.

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.
  • Kendall

Tea!!! Thanks for this post!!! I adore Salvadorian food and made a special trip to the Farmer’s Market every Sat in the fall for a pupusa. Now I know where I can get one whenever! Thanks for the insight!