A good read

January 8, 2009 —

It’s been very hard to catch up on leisurely reading with school and that’s why I took advantage of my winter break to pick up a book. There were a few challenges, however, in deciding what book I think I can actually enjoy and finish reading. 

So how did I decide? First thing in mind was my budget. Although nothing can beat getting free books at the public library, going to Target was my next favorite place to find current reads that I can keep and pass on to friends if the book was really good. I tend to aim for books that are labeled as New York Times Bestseller and 20% off – a perfect match. 

I remember running into a lady one time at the airport who was reading ‘Eat, Pray, Love’ by Elizabeth Gilbert and I asked her what she thought about it. She said it’s really great and she plans on buying a few more copies to give to her girlfriends. So when I saw this book at Target for $12, I was all over it. 

I have to admit, it’s the book version of a chick-flick and once I started reading it, I was committed to finishing it before break was over. The author goes on a spiritual journey crossing through Italy (my favorite country ever), India and Indonesia. The author is very witty and I caught myself laughing out loud a few times while reading it. 

Without spoiling the whole story, I do highly recommend this book as a fun read for whenever you have time. It’s broken up to 108 continuous sections so there are plenty of rest stops without feeling too disconnected from the whole story. 

This book inspired me to find peace within my world no matter how hectic it may seem. And if you’re in need of some inspiration, you should eat, pray, love and repeat.

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.