Shadowing as a second-year D.P.M. student

November 25, 2008 —

Second-year D.P.M. students at DMU have the opportunity get ahead of the curve now and shadow clinicians on campus before rotations.

I was there yesterday tagging along with the third-years who made it a positive experience for me and the clinicians who, naturally, were happy to teach and answer all of my questions. I spent about three hours in the clinic following various cases such as putting on a wound V.A.C. (contraption that helps heal wounds faster) and post-op surgery follow-ups. They even encouraged me to gain hands-on experience! (I’ll have to leave the details out – if you are a second-year D.P.M., you’ll take this opportunity to find out yourself!) The clinicians, students, and staff were very open about having me up there.

It was worth going and I highly recommend second-years start getting their feet wet in our fabulous clinic to prepare for third-year rotations. They’ve already asked me if other second-years have signed up for it. So have you?

Photo: Dr. Pehde with DMU students in the Des Moines University Foot & Ankle Institute.

Tea Nguyen is a dual degree D.P.M./M.P.H. student at DMU. She was born in Utah but raised in California and left the great state to be at one of the best podiatry school in the country.

She has aspirations in international medical service trips and hopes to hit several continents during this lifetime. Traveling is also on the top of her to-do list and she often reminisces about her prior travels to Italy, France and Greece. She also enjoys eating adventures with her boyfriend Paul and is a major food-snacker. It is not uncommon to find her lapsed in a food coma in the middle of her studies.