Ice cream addicts welcome in Iowa

June 25, 2008 —

I love ice cream. Other than mint chip,  I haven’t met any ice cream I dislike. If someone came up with an ice cream diet, I’d try it. My great-grandpa ran a dairy decades ago, my mom grew up eating ice cream from his freezer and we’ve joked that we have ice cream in our blood.

All this being said, an article in today’s paper made me super happy – apparently, Iowa is an ice cream mecca! Blue Bunny ice cream (created in 1913, sold in all 50 states) is made in Le Mars, Iowa. And we have ice cream shops that date back 100 years or so.

Register’s article about ice cream in Iowa

Anyone up for a state-wide ice cream eating road trip!??

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.

• http://www.checkcity.com/blog Michael Payday

Is there some kind of statewide ice cream day? Some kind of holiday maybe? If there’s not there should be!