Food festivals in Iowa

April 24, 2008 —

I’ve noticed a trend in our DMU blogs. Apparently we are all very food-focused!!! And while I should totally pick a different topic so you, my friendly blog readers, don’t think we all have one-track minds, I’m not going to today. And why you ask? because, yesterday the Des Moines Register did a story on food festivals in Iowa thru the summer.

And let me tell you, I LOVE food festivals. Something about eating fresh, local food outside in the sunshine. Nothin’ better, I say.

My favorites on the list are Pella Tulip Time (May 3) GORGEOUS flowers all over town, plus fresh Dutch letters. YUM. I also love the Greek Food Fair (June 7-8) and the Wells Fargo World Food Fest (Oct. 10-12). There are some festivals on this list that I NEED to check out, like a Taste of Chocolate (Sept. 13) – hello, what could be wrong about that?! – or the Coca Cola Days (Sept. 26). And I’ve heard for years how great Festa Italiana (Aug. 1-3) is but haven’t gone yet. Maybe this is the year!

Courtney Tompkins has been part of the DMU marketing team since Nov. 2005 and loves promoting a school she believes in so thoroughly. Proud daughter and patient of DMU alumni, Courtney knows, first-hand, that Des Moines University is doing a world of good. A fan of all outdoor festivals, fruity drinks and nearly all edibles, she has a hard time narrowing down her list of favorite places to go and things to do but lists the Iowa State Fair as an all-time fave. She loves her 8-minute commute to DMU from Urbandale, a suburb of Des Moines. She and husband Tyler are owned by three large dogs, Tonka, Tucker and Tank.