Apply to the College of Osteopathic Medicine through the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service, (AACOMAS), which is a centralized application service. Direct applications are not accepted. When applying through AACOMAS, designate that DMU should receive your application.
- Contact AACOMAS by calling 301-968-4100 or through the web site: www.aacom.org
- Send transcripts directly to AACOMAS.
- Supply results of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) to AACOMAS. Only MCAT scores taken within the last three years will be accepted. For more information concerning the MCAT exam, go to: www.aamc.org/students/mcat/start.htm
- Deadline: February 1, application received by AACOMAS.
2) Supplemental application
If you meet the minimum requirements for our consideration – a GPA of at least 2.8, both cumulative and in science – the admission office will send an email with an online link to the supplemental application.
- A non-refundable fee of $60, paid online by credit card, is required at the time the supplemental application is submitted.
- Deadline: March 1, supplemental application received by DMU admission.
3) Letters of recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be sent directly to COM admission from the evaluator or university. All letters of recommendation must be received no later than March 1. The following letters are required:
- One letter that details your exposure to medicine. This must come from a physician (D.O. or M.D.). The letter needs to describe your exposure to patients and your ability to perform in a medical setting. It can reflect shadowing, volunteer, or work experience.
- And either of the following:
- Two academic letters written by college science professors who have instructed you in their classes. We only accept letters from instructors of biology/chemistry/physics; letters from social science (e.g. psychology, sociology, etc.) or math professors will not count toward this requirement or
- One pre-med or academic committee letter that includes the names and departments of the committee members.
Tips for letters:
- Letters that do not count toward completion of your admission file include: letters from relatives, spouses, family friends, coaches, personal trainers, veterinarians, dentists, your family physician or pediatrician (unless you have shadowed or worked with the doctor). We prefer the authors are as objective as possible.
- Please send no more than three letters.
- Completed file: When we have received your AACOMAS file, your letters of recommendation, supplemental application and $60 fee, the admission committee will review your file. We will notify you by email when your admission file is complete. Within a few weeks the admission office will contact you to let you know if you are invited to interview. Learn more about our interview process.
- Letters can be sent directly to DMU at:
3200 Grand Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50312.
- We also subscribe to VirtualEvals and Interfolio. Letters can be uploaded directly to DMU at www.dmu.edu/letters.
Note: If you are an international student, please refer to our international student information pages.
First-time entering students may apply to only one Des Moines University clinical program at a time (includes D.O., D.P.M., PA and D.P.T.). Multiple applications will not be accepted or processed.
Accommodations in Education Policy
The University complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Iowa Civil Rights Act and other laws relating to the Accommodations of disabilities in its educational programming.