Academic Pathologist and Assistant Professor - Microbiology and Immunology
Academic Pathologist and Assistant Professor - Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
Academic Pathologist and Assistant Professor - Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences
|Education||Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Missouri-Columbia, 2003-2007|
Postdoctoral Fellow, College de France, Paris, France, 2002-2003
Ph.D., Molecular Biology, Pekin Union Medical College, China, 2000
Clinical Fellow, Urology, Pekin Union Medical College Hospital, China, 1999-2000
Residency, Urology, Pekin Union Medical College Hospital 1996-1998
Residency, Surgery, 3rd Hospital of Beijing Medical University, China, 1993-1995
M.D., Clinical Medicine, Beijing Medical University, China, 1993
Yujiang Fang joined the DMU department of microbiology and immunology in December 2013. He received his M.D. and Ph.D. in China and has worked as an attending urologist for years. Following postdoctoral training in pathology in Paris and postdoctoral training in immunology in Columbia, Missouri, he was a research assistant professor at the University of Missouri and adjunct assistant professor at several other universities. A member of the editorial boards of several established journals, Dr. Fang has extensive involvement in clinical, teaching and research experiences. He is interested in cancer immunotherapy, the effect of radiosensitizers on cancer and the mechanisms of resolution and fibrosis of inflammation.
My lab is interested in the following research areas:
- Cancer Immunotherapy: Cytokine-based cancer immunotherapy has been a new hot spot for cancer treatment for years. Recently several new projects have been developed in my lab about the direct effects of cytokines (such as IL-9, IL-17, IL-27, IL-32, IL-33, IL-34, IL-35, IL-36 and IL-38) on tumor proliferation, apoptosis, senescence and metastasis in many cancer cell lines (prostate cancer, bladder cancer, pancreatic cancer, colorectal cancer, cervical cancer, melanoma). I am also interested in exploring the underlying molecular mechanisms for their effects on tumor cells. These in vitro results will be further extended to in vivo studies. The final goal for this project is to use this information to design rational therapeutic strategies for cancer immunotherapy.
- Cancer Radiation Sensitizer: The efficacy of radiation therapy for cancers largely depends on the radiosensitivity of the tumor. Unfortunately, some cancers are among the more radioresistant malignant tumors. The higher radiation dosage may have severe side-effects, however, lower dosage may have little effect on cancers. A safe and effective radiosensitising agent is needed to allow a decrease in the radiation dosage and side-effects associated with radiation.Resveratrol (trans-3, 4’, 5-trihydroxystilbene, RSV) is a ployphenolic compound which occurs naturally in grapes (red wine), peanuts, as well as in other plant species. Many studies showed that it had antitumor effects. In recent years, RSV has become one of the most promising agents against cancer. Recently, we found that RSV could be a powerful radiation sensitizer for prostate cancer and melanoma. My lab will continue to study if RSV as well as other natural chemicals (such as green tea extracts and pomegranate extracts) will be used as radiation sensitizer for other cancers.
- Mechanisms of Resolution or fibrosis of Inflammation My lab is also interested in the cellular and molecular mechanisms of the development, resolution or fibrosis of inflammation by using a well-established mouse model experimental autoimmune thyroiditis (EAT). EAT is induced by mouse thyroglobulin sensitized splenocytes activated in vitro with thyroglobulin and IL-12. Thyroid lesions reach maximal severity 20 days after cell transfer with thyrocyte proliferation. Inflammation resolves or progresses to fibrosis by day 60 depending on the extent of thyroid damage on day 20. Our previous studies have shown that depletion of CD8+ T cells inhibits EAT resolution. We have also found that modulation of pro- and anti-apoptotic molecules expressed in thyrocytes or lymphocytes could promote or inhibit EAT resolution. The current research in my lab is to explore the underlying cellular and molecular mechanisms that lead to these two distinct outcomes (resolution or fibrosis). This project might provide important information to design novel drugs to inhibit fibrosis and promote resolution of inflammation.
All students/postdoc/visiting scholars are welcome to my lab to do research under my direct supervision.
- Fang Y. The adrenal. Clinical Endocrinologic Surgery. 1999, 257-314 (Book).
- Fang Y, Zang M., Chen S., Di X. The expression of cytochrome P-450c17α-hydroxylase mRNA in adrenocortical adenomas and hyperplasia from patients with primary aldosteronism. Basic Medical Sciences and Clinics (present journal name: Basic & Clinic Medicine), 2000, 20: 30-33.
- Fang Y. Urologic laparoscopy. 21st Century Urologic Operation Diagram. 2001, 618-630 (Book).
- Fang Y, Chen Z, Ma L. Clinical and pathological study of adrenal ganglioneuroma. Basic Medical Sciences and Clinics (present journal name: Basic & Clinic Medicine) 2001, 21: 566-568
- Ma L, Huang Y, Fang Y, Jiang H, Song S, Hou X, Yuan J. Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: a report of 8 cases. Chinese Journal of Minimally Invasive Surgery. 2002, 2(3): 140.
- Wei J, Fang Y, Chen Z, Zhuang S, Chen J. The Diagnosis and Treatment of Familial Pheochromocytoma (Five Cases Report).Acta Academiae Medicinae Jiangxi. 2002, 42: 68-70
- Fang Y. The application of laser on urological diseases. Modern Practical Laser Medicine.2006, 361-376 (book).
- Fang Y,Wei Y,DeMarco V,Chen K,Sharp GC,Braley-Mullen H. Murine FLIP transgene expressed on thyroid epithelial cells promotes resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis in DBA/1 mice.TheAmerican Journal of Pathology. 2007, 170: 875-887.
- Fang Y,Yu S,Braley-Mullen H. Contrasting roles of IFN-γ in murine models of autoimmune thyroid diseases.Thyroid2007, 17: 989-994.
- Fang Y,DeMarco V,Sharp GC,Braley-Mullen H. Expression of transgenic FLIP on thyroid epithelial cells inhibits induction and promotes resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis in CBA/J mice. Endocrinology 2007, 148: 5734-5745.
- Fang Y,Sharp GC,Braley-Mullen H. Interleukin-10 promotes resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis. The American Journal of Pathology. 2008, 172: 1591-1602
- Fang Y, Braley-Mullen H. Cultured murine thyroid epithelial cells expressing transgenic FLIP are protected from Fas-mediated apoptosis. Endocrinology 2008, 149: 3321-3329
- Fang Y,Sharp GC,Yagita H, Braley-Mullen H. A critical role for TRAIL in resolution of granulomatous experimental autoimmune thyroiditis. The Journal of Pathology. 2008, 216: 505-513.
- ShiBB, Li HZ, Zhao L, Sun Q, Fan H, Li HJ, Li YQ, Fang Y. Paraneoplastic pemphigus caused by Castleman’s Disease masquerading as an adrenal neoplasm. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2009, 94: 1841-1842.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Xia X, XuD, Cui X. Escin improves sperm quality in male patients with varicocele-associated infertility. Phytomedicine 2010, 17:192-196.
- Fang Y,Chen K, Jackson D, Sharp GC,Braley-Mullen H. Eosinophil infiltrate thyroids, but have no apparent role in induction or resolution of experimental autoimmune thyroiditis in IFN-γ-/- mice. Immunology 2010, 129:329-337.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F. Chemokines as novel therapeutic targets in autoimmune thyroiditis. Recent Patents on DNA & gene sequence 2010, 4: 52-57.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Xia Y, Cui X, Duren A. A critical role of surgery in the treatment for paraneoplastic pemphigus caused by Castleman’s Disease. Medical Oncology 2010, 27: 907-911.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Zang M., Chen S, Di X, Duren A. A dispensable role for P-450scc in the overproductionof aldosterone in aldosterone-producing adenomas and nodular hyperplasia in patients with primary aldosteronism. Pathology and Oncology Research, 2010, 16: 589-592.
- Fang Y,Yu S, Ellis J, Sharav T, Braley-Mullen H. Comparison of sensitivity of Th1, Th2 and Th17 cells to Fas-mediated apoptosis. The Journal of Leucocyte Biology. 2010, 84: 1019-1028
- Yu S, Fang Y Sharp GC,Braley-Mullen H. Transgenic expression of TGF-β on thyrocytes inhibits development of spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis and increases T regulatory cells in thyroids of NOD. H-2h4 mice The Journal of Immunology. 2010, 184: 5352-5359.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Parker CA, Yan F, Zhang C. Modulation of apoptosis: new opportunities for drug discovery to treat autoimmune thyroiditis. Recent Patents on Inflammation & Allergy Drug Discovery. 2010, 4:255-260.
- Yu S, Fang Y,Sharav T, Sharp GC,Braley-Mullen H. CD8+ T cells induce thyroid epithelial cell hyperplasia and fibrosis The Journal of Immunology 2011, 186:2655-2662.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Yan F, Cui X, Zhou F. Strategy for treating simple testicular cyst in adults. The American Journal of Men’s Health. 2011, 5:193-197.
- Fang Y, Zhao L, Chen S, Cui X, Zang M., Chen S, Di X. Expression of P-450c11β in adrenal aldosterone-producing adenomas and nodular hyperplasia tissues Clinical Laboratory 2011, 57:245-251.
- Fang Y, Nicholl MB. SIRT1 and tumorigenesis: foes or friends? Cancer Letters 2011, 306:10-14.
- Xia X, Fan L, Xia X, Fang Y. Uterine rupture during pregnancy Clinical and Experimental Obsterics and Gynecology 2011, 38:286-287.
- Fang Y,Sharp GC,Braley-Mullen H. Effect of transgenic overexpression of anti-apoptotic FLIP on resolution of experimental autoimmune thyroiditis. The American Journal of Pathology 2011, 179:1211-1220.
- Fang Y. Editorial Comment from Dr. Fang to Increased expression of CYP17 and CYP11B1 in subclinical Cushing’s syndrome due to adrenal adenomas Internaltional Journal of Urology 2011, 18:697-699
- Fang Y, Yu S,Braley-Mullen H. TGF-β promotes proliferation of thyroid epithelial cells by downregulation of P21 and P27 via AKT pathway in IFN-γ-/- mice The American Journal of Pathology 2012, 180:650-660.
- Fang Y, Shi B, Wang Y. An adrenal mass and ulcerating skin rash. Diagnostic Dilemmas: Images in endocrinology 2011,10-12(book, Editor: Leonard Wartofsky)
- Fang Y, Herrick EJ, Nicholl MB. A possible role forperforin and granzyme B in resveratrol enhanced radiosensitivity of prostate cancer. Journal of Andrology 2012;33:752-760 .
- Cui X, Zhao L, Chen S, Guan T, Herrick EJ, Shi B, Zang M, Chen S, Fang Y. A potential role for CPY17 as a parameter in differentiation between aldosterone-producing adenoma and nodular hyperplasia in patients with hyperaldosteronism. Urology 2012, 79;1410.e15-9.
- Fang Y, DeMarco VG, Nicholl MB. Resveratrol enhances radiation sensitivity in prostate cancer by inhibiting cell proliferation and promoting cell senescence and apoptosis. Cancer Science 2012, 103:1090-8.
- Shi BB, Chen C, Li HZ, Rong S, Huang ZM, Fan H, Wen J, Ji ZG, Fang Y. Correlation between Surgical Modality and Clinicopathologic Characteristics for Ureteral Transitional Cell Carcinoma Clinical and Translational Oncology 2012, 14:321-316 .
- 36. Fang Y. Editorial Comment from Dr Fang to Polymorphic variation of CYP11B2 predicts postoperative resolution of hypertension in patients undergoing adrenalectomy for aldosterone-producing adenomas.Int J Urol. 2012;19:821-822.
- Fang Y, Moore BJ, Cook KM, Herrick EJ, Nicholl MB. A potential role for resveratrol as a radiation sensitizer for melanoma treatment. Journal of Surgical Research, 2013 183:645-53.
- Kayes T, Fang Y, Yu S, Downey E, Wang S, Braley-Mullen H. Agonistic anti-CD40 induces thyrocyte proliferation and promotes thyroid autoimmunity by increasing CD40 expression on thyroid epithelial cells Journal of Immunology, 2013, 190:3928-38.
- Fang Y, Moore BJ, Q Bai, Cook KM, Herrick EJ, Nicholl MB. Hydrogen peroxide enhances radiation induced apoptosis and inhibition of proliferation in melanoma cells Anticancer Research 2013, 33:1799-807.
- Fang Y, Nicholl MB. A dualrole for Sirtuin 1 in tumorigenesis. Current Pharmaceutical Design Curr Pharm Des. 2013 Jun 25.
Awards and honors
2013, 2014 - Research Grant University of Missouri
2013 - Editorial Board, Biomedical Research International Endocrinology (IF 2013:2.880)
2011, 2012 - Research Grant University of Missouri
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 - Arthritis Foundation Research Fellowship Grant
2008 - Junior Faculty Travel Award by the American Association of Immunologists
2008 - Life Sciences Week of University of Missouri-Image Winner (1st Place)
2006, 2008 - Helen Mullen Travel Awards
2002, 2003 - L’Oreal Research Grant by French Government (Paris, France)
2001 - Young Expert in Urology field of Beijing
2001 - Young Expert in Urology field in Medical Centre of Beijing University
1995, 2000 - Annual Excellent Graduates in Peking Union Medical College
1993, 1994 - Annual Excellent Residents in 3rd Hospital of Beijing Medical University
1988, 1991, 1993 - Annual Excellent Medical Student of Beijing Medical University