Assistant Professor - Master of Public Health
Assistant Professor - Global health
|Education||Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Iowa State University, Ames, IA|
Masters of Education, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
Bachelor of Science in P.T. and PT Certificate, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Bachelor of Science, Iowa State University, Ames, IA
|Certifications||Physical Therapy Licensure|
Certified Professional Coder (CPC), American Academy of Professional Coders
Certified Clinical Instructor, American Physical Therapy Association
Adult CPR/First Aid
Gerontology Certificate, Iowa State University
Board Certified Orthopedic Specialist, American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties
Isernhagen Work Systems Functional Capacity Evaluations, Work Hardening, Functional Job Analysis, Pre-Work Screening.
|Area of Expertise||Teaching:
|Professional Organizations, Committees and Boards||
My three primary categories of research are 1. Effective methodology for teaching cultural competency skills to health professions students; 2. Health care disparities and access to health care and public health services, including delivering culturally sensitive care, to underserved populations; and 3. Measuring health care quality and efficiency.
I am continuing work on immigrant and refugee health care access, student learning outcomes in Interprofessional Education, and adverse childhood events (ACEs) impact on adult health.
I have three primary categories of research interest: 1. Effective methodology for teaching cultural competency skills to health professions students; 2. Delivering culturally sensitive care to underserved populations; and 3. Measuring health care quality and efficiency. In 2011, I am developing my research agenda, and interested in a literature review of tools to measure cultural competency and transformational learning, as well as surveying and studying micropopulations seeking health care services at free clinics in Iowa.
I am researching changes in health professions students’ attitudes as a result of cultural diversity training as measured by the Global Perspective Inventory© with Dr. Yogesh Shah, DMU global health Initiatives. I am also collaborating with researchers from the University of Iowa (College of Public Health) and University of North Carolina (Sheps Center) on a comparison of direct access versus physician-referred physical therapy episodes of care.
- Duffy, P.A. (2011). Des Moines University Iowa Osteopathic Educational Research (IOER-Research and Grants). $9700.00 grant for “Pilot study of micro-populations in central Iowa and impact on public health services (working title)”
- Duffy, P.A. (2011). Public Health Training for Oral Health Professionals (6 Modules). In collaboration with the Bureau of Oral and Health Delivery Systems. $5000.00 grant from Iowa Department of Public Health.
- Duffy, P.A. (Project Director) & Geletta, S. (2013) 2013 Iowa ACEs Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Analysis and ReportingResponse to Request for Proposals by the Iowa ACEs Steering Committee of the Iowa Department of Public Health, Des Moines, IA. Proposal selected as one of two finalist proposals.
Publications In Refereed Journals
- McClinton, S. M., Flynn, T. W., Heiderscheit, B. C., McPoil, T. G., Pinto, D., Duffy, P. A., Bennett, J. D. Comparison of Usual Podiatric Care and Early Physical Therapy Intervention for Plantar Heel Pain: A Parallel-group Randomized Clinical Trial Protocol. Trials. December, 2013.
- Pendergast, Kleithermes, Freburger, & Duffy (2012). Claims-based Resource Utilization in Physical Therapy Care: A Comparison of Physician-Referred and Direct Access. Health Services Research, April 2012, 47 (2), pp. 633-654
- Pendergast, Kleithermes, Freburger, & Duffy (2011). Claims-based Resource Utilization in Physical Therapy Care: A Comparison of Physician-Referred and Direct Access. Published ahead of print, Health Services Research, September 23, 2011.
- Duffy, P.A. (April 24, 2014) Implementation of the Affordable Care Act: The Impact on Physical Therapy Practice? Iowa Physical Therapy Association 2014 Spring Conference. Ames, IA
- Duffy, P.A. (April 15, 2014) Implementation of the Affordable Care Act: What Impact has there been for Patients and Providers? Iowa Physician Assistant Society Spring CME Conference 2014. West Des Moines, IA
- Duffy, P.A. (April 20, 2013). Global Health: Exploring Opportunities. Iowa Physical Therapy Association Student Conclave. Ames, IA
Invited Reviewer Peer Reviewed Journals
- Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved
- Physical Therapy Journal
- Pendergast, J. Kliethermes, S., & Duffy, P.A. Cost-effectiveness Study on Direct Access. Keynote Breakfast Address with co-authors. International Policy Summit on Direct Access and Advanced Scope of Practice October 24, 2009, National Harbor, MD.
Scientific And Professional Presentations
- Duffy, P.A. Immigrant and refugee health care in central Iowa and implications for public health: Provider, Patient, and Community Perspectives. 2014 Iowa Governor’s Conference on Public Health. April 2, 2014, Ames, Iowa.
- Duffy, P.A. (2012). Comparison of health services use for physician-referred and direct access episodes of care in physical therapy. APTA Insurance Forum, September 13, 2012, Hartford, CT.
- Moore, J., & Duffy, P.A. (June 8, 2012). Direct Access: A New Chapter for Patients, Payers, Physicians, and Physical Therapists (2 hours). APTA Annual Conference, Tampa, FLA.
Awards and honors
President’s Recognition Award, Des Moines University
Diversity Champion, Des Moines University Office of Multicultural Affairs
Catherine Worthingham Fellow of the American Physical Therapy Association
Lucy Blair Service Award of the American Physical Therapy Association
Olive Farr Distinguished Service Award of the Iowa Physical Association