Associate professor - Master of Health Care Administration
|Education||Ph.D. Health Services Administration, Walden University, Minneapolis, MN|
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI
|Area of Expertise||Teaching:
|Professional Organizations, Committees and Boards||
For several years, Dr. York’s research has focused primarily on evidence-based healthcare and online teaching / learning. She is currently transitioning to a new line of inter-professional inquiry with physical therapist Dr. Laura Covill focusing on the use of yoga in healthcare. Grants – Primary Investigator
- IOER (Iowa Osteopathic Education and Research Grant) Faculty Grant: Creating Evidence-Based Practice Educational Tools to Bridge the Gap between Students and Clinical Instructors, $22,175. Funded, 2011.
Grants – Investigator
- DARE (Dean’s Award for Research in Education). Podcasting in Medical Education: Efficacy and Utility, $9,580. Investigator. Funded, 2010.
Research Publications – Refereed
- York AM, Nordengren F, Stumbo T. Learner Media Preferences in an Evidence-Based Practice Asynchronous Web Module. The Journal of Online Teaching and Learning.Vol. 5, No. 3, September 2009.
- York AM, Nordengren F, Stumbo T. Teaching Evidence Based Medicine with an Asynchronous Web Module: Measuring Student Preferences and Outcomes. The Journal of Physician Assistant Education, 2009; 20:44-50.
- York AM, Nordengren, FR. E-learning and Web 2.0 Case study: The Role of Gender in Contemporary Models of Health Care Leadership in H. Yang & S. Yuen (Eds), Cases on Formal, Non-Formal, and Informal Online Learning: Opportunities and Practices. IGI Global, New York, 2012.
- Nordengren FR, York AM. Dispatches from the Graduate Classroom: Bringing Theory and Practice to E-Learning in H. Yang & S. Yuen (Eds), Handbook for Research on Practices and Outcomes in E-Learning: Issue and Trends. IGI Global, New York, 2009.
- York AM, Nordengren FR. He Said / She Said: The Myths and Evidence on Gender and Leadership. AUPHA annual conference, San Antonio, TX, 2014.
- York AM, Nordengren FR. Lean In / Lean Out: The Evidence on Gender and Leadership. DMU Seminar Series, 2014.
- Shah Y, York AM, Rooney TW. WHO Research Scholars: Developing Global Health Educators and Leaders. American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, Bethesda MD, 2012.
- Nordengren FR, York AM. Cross-Campus Collaboration: Share and Share Alike Using Web 2.0 Research to Bridge Traditional Academic Barriers. Educause Learning Initiative annual conference, Austin TX, 2011.
- York AM. A Practical Evidence Based Approach to Strength and Conditioning. NSCA Annual Conference, Las Vegas, NV, 2010.
- York AM, Nordengren FR. Contemporary Gender Models in Healthcare Leadership. AUPHA Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, 2009.
- Hines R, Nordengren FR, York AM. Reinventing Libraries for the Digital Age. MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching) Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, 2009.
- York AM & Nordengren, FR. Using the Community of Inquiry Model to Engage Students in Online and Blended MHA Courses.Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) annual conference, Minneapolis MN, 2012.
- Newton, AD, Stumbo, T, York, A, & Nordengren, F. Evidence-Based Practice in Clinical Education: Bridging the Gap between Students and Clinical Instructor – Phase III. PT 2012: APTA’s Annual Conference & Exposition, 2012
- York AM. Nordengren FR.Blending Theory and Practice in Health Care Administration E-Learning. Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) annual conference, Portland OR, Des Moines University Research Symposium, 2011.
- York AM, Nordengren FR, Stumbo T, Newton AP. Evidence-Based Practice Online Tutorial: Bridging the Gap between Students and Clinical Instructors. Des Moines University Research Symposium, Des Moines IA, and Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, San Antonio TX, 2010.
- York AM, Nordengren FR, Stumbo T. Evidence-Based Practice Education: Measuring Student Preference, Engagement and Outcomes. Educause Education Learning Initiative (ELI) annual conference, Orlando FL, 2009.
- York AM, Nordengren FR, Stumbo T. Evidence-Based Practice Education: Measuring Student Preference, Engagement and Outcomes. DMU Research Symposium, Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, Baltimore MD; American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) Combined Sections Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, 2009.
- York AM, Stumbo T, Ramirez G. A Measure of the Effectiveness of Teaching Evidence-Based Medicine Skills via a Web-Based Interactive Tutorial. American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Annual Meeting, St. Louis MO, 2009.
Awards and honors
2012 - Student Choice Faculty Award, MHA
2012 - Association of University Programs in Health Care Administration (AUPHA) Peer Review Award for Abstract/Poster, Annual Meeting
2011 - American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Peer Review Award for Abstract/Poster, Annual Meeting