Applications for 2014 matriculation will be accepted through the centralized application service beginning August 1, 2013. We operate on a rolling admission basis at DMU-CPMS, which means we interview and accept students into our incoming class throughout the application cycle. The deadline for applications is June 1, 2014, however, we encourage students to apply by March 2014 for best consideration.
- Apply through the American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine Application Service, or AACPMAS, which is a centralized application service. When applying through AACPMAS, designate that DMU-CPMS should receive your application.
- Submit a request to every college attended to have all official transcripts sent directly to the AACPMAS. You can request to have transcripts sent before you start the online application. Keep copies of your transcripts to reference while completing the online application. You will enter all coursework, credit hours and grades on the application. Address transcripts to:
PO Box 9200
Watertown, MA 02471
- Release results of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) to AACPMAS. DMU-CPMS requires all applicants to submit MCAT scores; we do not accept GRE or DAT results. The last acceptable date to take the MCAT to be considered for admission for the class that matriculates in August 2014 is May 2014. Final admission decisions will not be made until official MCAT scores are received.
- Deadline: June 1, 2014 – all application materials and transcripts are due to the AACPMAS. Please note, due to our rolling admission policy it is to the applicant’s advantage to apply early in the cycle. We often fill our class during the spring, well in advance of the June 1 deadline.
2) Letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required, and should be sent directly to DMU-CPMS admission office from the letter writer or university. Letters from relatives are unacceptable, as we prefer the letter writers to be as objective as possible. The following letters are required, however, we will accept more if applicable:
- One letter from a doctor of podiatric medicine that details your exposure to podiatric medicine. It can reflect shadowing, volunteer or work experience.
- One letter from a science professor, advisory committee or academic advisor
We prefer to receive letters electronically:
Letter writers may upload directly to the DMU website via the link below:
3200 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50312
Please contact us directly if you need to discuss possible substitution letters. Letters should be sent at the time of application, and are accepted before applications arrive. We encourage applicants to have their letters on file at the time of their interview.
Once your application is received at DMU-CPMS, it is reviewed by the Dean and admission committee. You will be notified within 1-2 weeks of DMU receiving your application whether you are invited to interview, placed on hold or denied admission. An on-campus interview is required as part of the admission process and cannot be substituted with a phone interview.
Please note: First-time entering students may apply to only one Des Moines University clinical program at a time (includes D.O., D.P.M., PA and D.P.T.). Multiple applications will not be accepted or processed.
If you are an international student, please refer to our international student information pages.
Accommodations in Education Policy
The University complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, the Iowa Civil Rights Act and other laws relating to the Accommodations of disabilities in its educational programming.