In an effort to expand educational opportunities to our local and global community, non-degree seeking students may take select coursework at Des Moines University without being admitted into a degree program. These courses may be beneficial for individuals to expand their knowledge in a certain subject matter, or serve as preparation for a graduate program. Individuals must apply for approval as a non-degree seeking student and standard tuition rate, fees and policies apply. Approval to register for coursework at DMU in a non-degree seeking status does not guarantee an applicant will be granted admission if applying to a degree-seeking program at a later date.
Individuals who wish to enroll in select coursework available as a non-degree seeking student must plan to submit the following application materials at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the course. Fall term begins in September; Spring term begins in January; Summer term begins in May.
- Submit Online application and $60 application fee (select non-degree program as option on application)
- Submit a brief Personal Statement describing why you wish to pursue non-degree coursework at DMU
- Submit Official transcripts – proof of Bachelor’s degree is required
- If bachelor’s degree was not completed within the U.S., you must plan to submit a degree equivalency evaluation through WES (www.wes.org).
- If bachelor’s degrees was not completed in English, you must plan to submit results from the TOEFL exam.
Selected coursework will be available for registration for approved non-degree seeking students. All courses are offered online; on-campus participation required for MHA Executive Residency 801 & 619 only. Courses include:
|Course #||Course title||Credit Hours||Courses offered|
|MHA801||Professional Development Seminar I (Executive Residency requiring 5 days on campus)||2||Fall and Spring|
|MHA619||Health Care Human Relations Management (Executive Residency requiring 5 days on campus)||3||Fall and Spring|
|MHA621||Overview of the U.S. Health System||3||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|MHA625||Health Care Financial Management I||3||Summer and Spring|
|Course #||Course title||Credit hours||Courses offered|
|MPH621||Overview of the U.S. Health Care System||3||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|MPH650||Basic Statistics and Research||3||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|MPH657||Survey of Human Health and Disease||3||Summer and Spring|
|MPH766||Geographic Info Systems||Summer|
|MPH783||Foundations of Global Health||Summer|
|MPH786||health Promotion: Techniques in Tech||Summer|
How to apply
Submit application online; send all other required documentation to:
Des Moines University – Non-degree Admissions
3200 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50312
Following submission of all required documentation, your file will be reviewed and you will be notified within several weeks of the decision. If an applicant is approved for registration as a non-degree seeking student, the following steps are required to complete the process:
- Submit a $250.00 tuition seat deposit to secure your seat, which will be credited toward your tuition in your first course.
- Complete a criminal background check through the DMU preferred vendor.
- Receive access to DMU email, learning management and library systems through Pulse, our intranet system.
- Registration will be processed through Pulse during a designated registration period.
Completion of coursework as a non-degree seeking student does not guarantee admission if the student applies to a degree program at Des Moines University. If admitted to a degree program, a maximum number of semester hours of credit completed in a non-degree status may be applied toward completion of a DMU degree (9 for PPDPT, 12 for MHA or MPH). Please contact the Admissions Office with questions on how to get started as a non-degree seeking student.