Learn more about careers in heath care...
Youth who are 14 (and have completed the eighth grade) through 20 years of age have the opportunity to explore many different areas of health care through hands-on activities, lectures and field trips.
The purpose is to help young people identify the field(s) of health care that most appeal to them. To do this, we bring in experts for each meeting to expose students to fields like: surgery, obstetrics, family medicine, physical therapy, podiatric medicine, social work, psychiatry, emergency medicine, nursing, epidemiology and forensics.
In addition to learning from the experts, the Post members are able to spend time with volunteer DMU graduate students who act as mentors/facilitators. These students answer questions, share their personal experiences, give tours of the medical school, and encourage the students to fulfill their aspirations in health care.
Meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of each month from September through April on the Des Moines University campus. Leadership opportunities abound; officers are elected and are responsible for the majority of the programming of the Post activities. Local and National Awards can also be earned. Exploring post members participate in community services activities throughout the year as a way to give back to the community.
By joining Exploring Post 141, you’ll get the chance to:
- TOUR a medical facility and get a behind-the-scenes look at what really happens.
- TALK with doctors, nurses, physician assistants, physical therapists and medical specialists about their experiences in health care.
- EXPLORE career opportunities in forensics, nutrition, medical technology and many other unique fields.
- LEARN about procedures used by a wide range of health care professionals including surgeons, psychiatrists, podiatric physicians and pharmacists.
- MEET the next generation of medical providers – today’s medical students.
How to join
To receive more information and to be added to our email list you can fill out our request for information. For recorded information, call 515-271-1621; for the post administrator, call 515-271-1374 or email ExploringPost141@dmu.edu.