The primary focus of the American College of Medical Genetics (ACMG) is to improve health through the use of medical genetics. In order to accomplish this ACMG outlined 5 goals:
- Define and promote excellence in medical genetics practice and the integration of translational research into practice;
- Promote and provide medical genetics education;
- Increase access to medical genetics services and integrate genetics into patient care;
- Advocate for and represent providers of medical genetics services and their patients; and
- Maintain structure and integrity of ACMG and its value to members and the public.
Goals of the ACMG at DMU:
- Advocate for students, staff, and community physicians in the area of medical genetics
- Provide students with the opportunity to research and present case studies.
- Elevate our medical genetics education to the top National tier by integrating regularly scheduled grand rounds with local physicians and residents.
- Promote intra-disciplinary genetic education between all of the programs offered at DMU.
- Provide a firmer genetics syllabus for students electing to take USMLE examinations.
- Provide a forum to review and discuss USMLE standard practice examination questions